The urbanisation of Batignolles and Epinettes began from 1827
onwards and took off when the first French railway line (Paris to Saint Germain-en-Laye in
1837) opened and was further boosted in 1853 with the interchange at
Petite Ceinture (circle line). More and more of Batignolles was swallowed up until nearly half of
the area consisted of goods dépôts, warehouses and maintenance
façades in this part of the 17th are, not unnaturally, less
ornate than those around Ternes or Monceau with fewer of the
typically Parisian domes which are such a feature of bourgeois
architecture between 1860 and 1914. Nonetheless, there’s
plenty to see when looking you turn your gaze upwards.
Epinettes and the Cité des Fleurs
cité des Fleurs is one of those “secret corners” which
might be light-years away from its solidly middle-class surroundings.
It was designed in 1847 by Lhenry and Bacquerie who drew up strict zoning
rules (alignment of façades, height restrictions,
tree-planting etc.). the painter Alfred Sisley (1839-1899) lived at n°27 before
moving into 41 rue Nollet. Another painter, Lucien Fontanarosa (1912-1975) lived at n°32 and
among his achievements were four murals for the school in rue Ampère. The
entrance to the church of St Joseph des Epinettes is through n°59.
painters, writers, composers and other celebrities
the 8th, 17th and 18th districts
meet is the place de Clichy, the subject of many paintings.
Among thoses who lived and/or worked in the area: Frédéric Bazille (1841-1870) at 9 rue de La Condamine but also at 6 rue de La Condamine with Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) in 1868. Jules Bastien-Lepage (1848-1884) at rue Legendre. Pierre Bonnard (1867-1947)
at 14 rue Le Chapelais and 48 boulevard des Batignolles. Louis Abel Truchet (1857-1918) at 4 rue Caroline.
Blaise Cendrars (1887-1961) at 17 rue du Mont Doré and surrealist Paul Eluard (1895-1952) at 54 rue Legendre. Max Jacob (1876-1944) at 55 rue Nollet. Stéphane Mallarmé (1842-1898) at 89 rue de Rome. Guy de Maupassant
(1850-1893) at 83 rue Dulong. Georges Simenon (1903-1989) at l'hôtel Beauséjour 42 rue des Dames then at hôtel Bertha 1 rue Darcet. Paul Verlaine (1844-1896) at 26 rue de l'Ecluse, 10 rue Nollet and 45 rue Lemercier. Alfred de Vigny (1797-1863) at 1 rue Nollet and Emile Zola (1840-1902) at 23 rue Truffaut, then at 14 rue de La Condamine then at 92 avenue de Clichy.
Arthur Honegger (1892-1955) at 1 square Emmanuel Chabrier and Emmanuel Chabrier (1841-1894) at26 rue
de l'Ecluse. Albert Roussel (1869-1937) at 2 square Gabriel Fauré and Maurice Ravel (1875-1937) at 19 boulevard Pereire.
Joséphine Baker (1906-1975) at 23 boulevard des Batignolles. Maurice Barrès (1862-1923) at 12 rue Legendre then at 6 rue Caroline. The marquise de Ricard had a "salon" at 10 boulevard des
Batignolles. Then Nina de Caillas (1843-1884) who was the sitter for Manet's Dame à l'éventail had hers at 82 rue des Moines.
The place de Clichy which was the limit of Paris until 1860 has as its focus a statue of field-marshal Moncey.It
was he who defended the nearby city gate against France’s foes in
1814 and this is recorded by a bas-relief of the event as depicted by
Horace Vernet. The Père Lathuile was an inn located on the site of the
present-day 9 avenue de Clichy; a contemporary engraving shows
Père Lathuile handing out rations to Moncey’s soldiers. The
inn must still have been standing when it featured in a painting by
Edouard Manet. The café Guerbois almost
next door was a meeting place of the Impressionists led by Cezanne and Manet. In 1906, the Pere Lathuile was replaced by the Bouillon Pascal and the Kursaal, a music-hall at which Maurice Chevalier and Fréhel appeared; it closed down in 932. The marché des Epinettes (or des Batignolles) dated from 1867 and was demolished in 1975. The théatre des Batignolles, to-day théatre Hébertot, was opened in 1838. Opened in 1810, the Réunion at 8
rue de Lévis was a dance-hall and auditorium for political meetings at which speakers included Ledru-Rollin, Auguste Blanqui, Louise Michel and Victor Hugo; coffee was roasted afeter 1885 before it was turned into housing. The Grands Bains Tivoli used to be at 32 boulevard des Batignolles.