from A to Z
thumbnails are in alphabetical order by street; click to enlarge.
Electric substations: In 1889, the City of
Paris granted an 18-year concession to six companies charged with installing
and operating power grids. At the time, all power stations used coal and
emission levels were very high. Some were inside Paris proper (rue des Dames,
quai de Jemmappes) and others were on the outskirts (Ivry, Levallois) but the
high-voltage current generated was carried to substations where it was
transformed into low-voltage current. It was also transformed into continuous
current for trams and the metro, since motors using alternating current came
later and continuous current also has some advantages. In 1898, Compagnie
parisienne du métropolitain, the metro operator of the time, built its own
power station behind its headquarters at quai de Bercy. Over 20 power stations and
substations were designed by architect Paul Friésé.