from A to Z
thumbnails are in alphabetical order by street; click to enlarge.
Department stores in Paris: one
of the very first was the Bazar de l'Industrie in 1829 at 27 bd Poissonnière; after
this they proliferated all over the city until the eve of the first
are almost all located on the Right Bank on two main thoroughfares:along the Seine (BHV, , Belle Jardinière, Samaritaine, Grands Magasins du Louvre) and the Grands Boulevards; but Dufayel whose gigantic building is now a bank was in the 18th
district, the Egalitaire and Belleviloise in the 10th
there have been only three on the Left Bank: the Bon Marché
and facing each other in rue de Rennes (today the FNAC).
if they no longer serve the same purpose several of these “cathedrals
of commerce” are still fully operational.